Cecil Business Leaders Announce Endorsements of Candidates in April 28 Primary Election
Elkton, Maryland – David Williams, Chairman of the Cecil Business Leaders (CBL) Board of Directors, is pleased to announce the organization’s endorsement and support for two candidates in the Primary Election on June 2, 2020.
Dr. Alan McCarthy
Countdown to the Primary
June 2, 2020
Donald Harmer, Jr
Dr. Alan J. McCarthy (Alan) is the incumbent candidate for Cecil County Executive. Some of his accomplishments during this term included but are not exclusive to
- fiscal responsibility demonstrated by proposing and implementing three balanced budgets without the use of the unassigned fund balance, restoring the emergency rainy day fund after it was nearly depleted prior to his election. The bond rating agencies of Standard and Poor’s and Moody’s have each highlighted the County’s structured fiscal approach and the building of the rainy day fund as reasons for the high bond rating Cecil County has earned.
- investment in new infrastructure and business incentives within the growth corridor, therefore stimulating business growth adding to the tax base and providing over 4,000 new Cecil County jobs.
- incorporating throughout County government a positive customer service philosophy through the establishment of greater efficiencies focusing on the needs of our businesses and individual citizens.
- attacking the opioid/heroin crisis by supporting the collaboration and synergy of multiple agencies to combat this debilitating disease. Under Alan’s leadership Cecil County joined the lawsuit against pharmaceutical companies who marketed opioids without caution and restraint.
- expanding quality of life necessities for citizens as demonstrated by the expansion of the County transit system and through the creation of a regional parks and recreation program to ensure all citizens across the County have access.
The CBL firmly believes that Dr. McCarthy deserves re-election to continue his initiatives and thus ensure that the County can continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all its citizens.
Donald C. Harmer, Jr. (Don) is a first time candidate running for the County Council as a resident of District 5, better described as the greater North East area. Don is a lifetime resident of Cecil County, holds a B.S. in Finance, and has been a successful business man in the county for over 36 years. For the past two decades he has committed countless volunteer hours through multiple civic outlets.
Examples of his civic volunteer contributions include serving on the:
Cecil County Planning Commission;
Cecil County Board of Parks & Recreation, including as its Chairman for the past five years;
Maryland Strategic Prevention Network – Underage Drinking and Over Service Compliance as Chairman;
Cecil County Local Development Council; and Drug Free Cecil Coalition.
Don also is dedicated to ensuring that our youth have access to healthy and nurturing activities. He has served as a coach with Cecil Soccer for twenty-two years, coached high school athletic teams and held the position of Assistant Athletic Director at Tome School for fifteen years.
Through his diverse and varied experiences Don understands how to run a successful business, is fully aware of the inter-workings of local and state governments and sensitive to the importance of providing our youth a healthy and nurturing environment in which they can learn and grow.
The CBL is confident that Don Harmer has the business background and philosophical understanding required to ensure that growth in the County is sustained in a manner consistent with the Cecil County Comprehensive and Strategic Plans. His commitment to the community will enhance his ability to provide an independent yet collaborative voice working with his colleagues on the County Council. He will provide the check and balance requirement as outlined in the County Charter by focusing on facts not personalities. For these reasons, the CBL announces its endorsement of Don Harmer for election to County Council.